Thursday, March 14, 2013

Chinese Scallion Pancakes (Cong You Bing)


I made these Chinese Spring Onion Pancakes yesterday for Julie's event :) They are sort of like Kerala Parathas - but stuffed with spring onions. They are not utterly on the healthier side of issues in that there is some oil involved as well as some white flour. But they are not incredibly unhealthy for you either. 

The Techie Man liked them much.
Here is how I made it. I have slightly adapted the recipe given at Serious Eats.

What You Will Need:
  1. All Purpose Flour - 1 cup
  2. Spring Onion, (only the green part) chopped finely - A heaped 1/2 cup (Original recipe uses 1 cup. I was short on them. Also, it would be harder to roll out with too much stuffing.)
  3. Oil (The original recipe calls for sesame oil. However, I found that another blog authored by someone who is from China uses just vegetable oil. That ruled the sesame oil out. Besides, the Techie doesn't like sesame oil.)
  4. Salt
  5. Boiling Water - 1/2 cup.
On To the Cauldron:

First, combine the flour and the water together and mix. When the mixture is cool enough to handle, knead, knead and knead so that the dough becomes smooth. (If you find the dough to be too sticky, add a bit of flour.)
Cover with a cling wrap and allow it to rest for at least half an hour.

Now, divide this into three portions. The original recipe said divide into two. That would make the rolled out dough too big. You can divide into four balls or more if you fancy smaller versions.
Now, take one of the balls and roll it out on a lightly floured surface. Lightly grease the top with some oil and then put some salt and spread it.
Now, roll this into a tube like this.
Coil the roll like this and tuck the end under it. (Otherwise it would pop out when you roll it out next time.)
Now, flatten it slightly with your hand and then, roll out again like you did at first.
Lightly grease the surface and then sprinkle a third (or whatever portion appropriate with the number of balls you have) of the greens onto it.
Roll it into a tube as before, coil it and then again, flatten and roll out. Some of the scallions would peep out to say hello. Don't panic. It is alright and part of the game. Just say a hello back to them.
Complete the rest of the dough in the same manner. You might want to cover the pancake with a clean cloth towel while you are working with the rest of the dough.

Heat up a pan with some oil. I didn't use much. However, you will get a uniform golden colour if you use a somewhat generous amount of oil.

Fry the pancakes till both sides turn a light brown. 
It is important to flip them over frequently. Don't wait for one side to get done completely before flipping it. Otherwise the pancakes would turn a bit hard.
Cut them into quarters once they are done. 

I served them with a Soy-Scallion-Ginger sauce. The recipe will be posted tomorrow.
Sending this to Julie's Flavours of Cuisines - Chinese Event hosted this month at her own space at Erivum Puliyum.
Also sending this to Miz Helen's Full Plate Thursday of 3-14-13.

50 comments:

  1. wow very yummy looks...must be apt recipe for me... coz i have stored my spring onion n thinks wat to do with... U gave me the recipe... Thank U Priya:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Viji, That's great! Thank you so much and hope they will come out alright for you :)

      Delete
  2. delicious recipe with lovely clicks Priya...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look absolutely delicious! I need to try them soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ellen. Do let me know how they turn out :)

      Delete
  4. Nice pics and a neat step by step pic representation.. Loved it dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow....wonderful pancakes......nice clicks & great presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my fav, such an aromatic and delicious pancakes na.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They indeed are delish Priya! Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  7. these look so good. I am sure Mr MN will love them. will try it over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Tanu! Hope Mr MN likes it. Do let me know how they turned out for you :)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful pancakes dear,Thanx a lot Priya for linking it to the event..Happy that ur husband liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Julie. Love your event - It's fun!

      Delete
  9. ooo this looks like something i had in xi'an, china! we went nuts on these things, literally hurt ourselves from eating them. no regrets! i'd love to make them at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, ha ha ha :) You can try them at home. They are so easy to make!

      Delete
  10. Owh I love these!!! Been ages since I had them...craving for some now dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha :) Sri, Hope you will make them soon :)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks Tinku. Let me know how it turned out for you :)

      Delete
  12. Very nice and innovative flavour...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great flavour of pancakes!! Lovely snaps!!
    http://www.rita-bose-cooking.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful pancakes...looks delicious
    http://foody-buddy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hii,Happy to pass my Liebster award to you :)
    http://kitchendelicacies.blogspot.in/2013/03/i-received-another-liebester-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Priya,
    Thank you so much for stopping by my space and joining me.Love the pancakes .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Meena. Loved visiting your space :)

      Delete
  17. Priya,
    I've made the same thing for Julies event. It will be my next post... Your step by step pics are great... Hats off to you..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's great Jannet. Would love to see your version and thanks a lot :)

      Delete
  18. Hi Priya,
    Your Chinese Scallion Pancakes look delicious, I can almost taste them. Have a great St. Patrick's Day and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Miz Helen :) Have a great week :)

      Delete
  19. Looks yummy...I love Kerala paratha (AKA Malabar paratha), i should try these :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot T2M. Do let me know how these turn out for you :)

      Delete
  20. That looks super yummy!
    Can I use whole wheat flour instead of maida in this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TGND, Thanks so much :) I haven't tried these with whole wheat flour yet. Will try out soon :)

      Delete
  21. Hi Priya,

    These look fantastic. Have you actually tried making scallion Korean pancakes before? Soooo good too, I've made those, and kimchi pancakes, and they are yummy.

    I never thought about rolling the "paratha" like that before. Looks so much easier than the way I did it. Never made with scallions but I've tried with potato filling before.

    Also wanted to THANK YOU so much for all your kind words, and support on my blog. It's taken me a while to make my way to everyone to thank you, but I appreciate all your support so much.

    I've just browsed through your blog some, and I seriously need to get back over here when I have more time, and pick some recipes to try. I LOVE south Indian Kerala food. My hubby is from there :)

    So glad you are feeling better too, it's no fun cooking or eating or anything when you are sick.

    Hugs, Bella :)
    BellaBefore and After

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bella, I have never tried Korean Scallion Pancakes - I googled it and I think they will be so delish! Do you have a recipe? I would be delighted to try that out :)

      And yeah, Aloo Parathas (Potato Stuffed Parathas) - I make them once in a while too. Usually I'm too lazy to do stuffed parathas ;) And I too never do a stuffed paratha this way. Even after doing the Chinese Scallion Pancakes, I didn't think of it (Talk abot Slow thinkers ;)) - Thanks so much for that idea :)

      And Bella, I seriously admire you for your determination. Wish you the very best in all that you do. Also, hope that your cake business will pan out in a way that you want it to be. I love your designs and the cakes all sound so yummy!

      I did wonder about the so very perfect Sambar pics that You had put up in some of those posts. Never knew your husband is from Kerala! That's so great and you can mail me if you ever find any issues while trying out Kerala Recipes :)

      I'm perfectly alright now. Thank you so much Bella. And thank you so much for stopping by.

      Have a great week ahead.

      Hugs!!!

      Delete
  22. Yummy.. These pancakes look amazing... I could just eat them all :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for stopping by :) (Please don't leave links in your comments.)